Who I Am
- This is me. My name is Rahul Kanakia.
- I am a novelist whose first book, Enter Title Here (yes, that’s its real title), is coming out August 2nd, 2016 from Disney-Hyperion.
- This is the cover of my book. I’m supposed to flash my cover at every instance in order to build up some kind of visual familiarity between it and you, the potential reader
- Since the age of 18, I’ve been writing and submitting stories. Most of these have been science fiction and fantasy short stories. A number of these stories have been published. If you want to read some, I guess I’d recommend: Ted Agonistes (very short) and What Everyone Remembers (a bit longer).
- I’ve written six novels (three of them were science fiction, two for adults, and one for young adults; a fourth was a contemporary young adult nove) I never revised or submitted the two adult SF novels. The second novel (the YA SF novel) was finished, polished, and submitted to both agents and publishers. It won the Honor Award in the first annual Tu Books New Visions contest and got me an offer of representation from my current agent: John Cusick of Greenhouse Literary, but never sold to an actual publisher. The fourth one, Enter Title Here, is the contemporary young adult book that will, probably be my debut. The fifth one is a adult literary novel that is terrible and which we will never speak of again. The sixth one is another young adult book: it’s about a disgraced pop starlet who suddenly starts hearing a voice–one that she interprets as the voice of God–which tells her that her whole life has been sinful and wrong. And the seven book is an adult literary novel about a somewhat-dimwitted sociopathic mother who lives in Berkeley and keeps trying to get her daughter into a really high-class school for child prodigies. These latter two novels may or may not someday be seen in print.
- I’ve been interviewed by the Baltimore Sun.
- I’ve been maintaining this blog since the summer of 2008 (though it’s only been regularly updated since about 2010). I used to blog on political topics, but nowadays I tend to steer clear of those. I mostly blog about books, my writing, and the writing life. I’m flirting with an expansion to more confessional topics, though.
- I’m super-tall (6′ 7″). That’s almost exactly two meters, for those of you who swing that way.
- I’m of Indian descent. My parents both grew up in Mumbai and came to the U.S. for graduate school.
- From summer of 2012 to spring of 2014, I lived in Baltimore (while I attended graduate school). Upon graduating, I moved to New Orleans.
- I quit smoking in the spring of 2011.
- I quit drinking in the winter of 2010. I consider myself to be a recovered alcoholic.
I think that about does it. Perhaps this is a bit of a bio-dump, but, honestly, I read tons of blogs, and I always find it quite annoying to have to figure out, from context, who (and where!) people are. Also, yes, I will accept your facebook friend request.